This position is responsible for the overall safety of the laboratory and is responsible for managing the daily operation of the lab.
Role and Responsibilities
• Be familiar with the regulatory requirements specific to the lab and ensures all users are in compliance with those standards.
• Review research protocols of internal and external research groups in an effort to stay abreast as to what research projects are occurring in the lab at any given time.
• Update and maintain the Lab Safety Plan/Manual and the SDS Manual.
• Accompany the EHS Manager during Lab Inspections.
• Oversees laboratory safety and ensures that the laboratory remains in compliance with all local,
• state and federal regulations. In cases where non-compliance is found, documents the instances as well as how they were abated.
• Ensures all reagents and supplies are available when needed.
• Manages and updates Chemical inventories and/or Risk Group Agent inventories.
• Communicates and enforces laboratory safety rules to internal and external researchers working in the lab.
• Ensures all users of the lab are wearing the appropriate PPE
• Ensures lab users have been trained on the correct use of the lab equipment, in addition to mentoring and disciplining lab users for not following safety policies/procedures that have been established for the lab.
• Schedules safety training for new lab users and retraining for lab users who are in need of refresher training to include but not be limited to equipment training, safety training and/or lab safety plan reviews and ensure the training has been documented.
• Ensures that the laboratory is cleaned/sanitized and kept in an orderly manner.
• Ensures all instrumentation/equipment is functioning properly to include but not limited to eyewash/safety showers and when instruments/equipment is found to be in need of maintenance/repair, he/she contacts the Equipment Engineer to have it repaired.
• Undergraduate or graduate degree in Chemical Engineering or Metallurgical Engineering
• More than 5 years’ experience
• Supervisory experience
• Strong leadership
• Analytical rigor and focused on results
• Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
• Team player
• Detail oriented and high level of accuracy
• Capable of making decisions
• Good judgment and problem-solving skills